What can we do for ourselves during this extraordinary period to reduce our own and our family's risk of contracting the new coronavirus? How can you protect yourself?
The transmission pattern of the new coronavirus is very similar to that of influenza and the common cold, mainly through droplet transmission and contact transmission. It can be transmitted through droplets such as from sneezing and coughing, or through direct contact with the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, eyes, etc., or through contact with patients and items contaminated with viruses.
Here are a few things everyone can do to reduce the spread of the virus:
- Wash hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing, sneezing, taking care of patients, before and after eating, and after going to the bathroom for at least 20 seconds;
- Avoid touching eyes, nasal cavity and mouth before washing hands;
- Practice social distancing (at least 6 ft) and avoid public places unless absolutely necessary;
- If you find that you have symptoms of infectious diseases such as cough and fever, please try not to go out for any reason except to seek medical care, and wear a mask when going out;
- When coughing and sneezing, please cover your nose and mouth with a tissue, then discard the tissue into a trash bin with a lid, and wash your hands;
- Clean and disinfect items and surfaces you have touched.
The following herbal formula is recommended by the Hubei Provincial Health Commission and the National Health Commission of China: